Masale Bhaat - Tondali Bhaat

Yet another recipe from my childhood memories..Though this one I learnt to cook recently, the taste was there on tongue from the marriage lunches that I had attended with my mom-dad in my small town!
Masale bhaat, mattha, jalebi, vangyachi bhaji, poori - used to be set menu in most of the marriages those days..though all my fav, I always wished to make Masale bhaat the way it used to be in those lunches...so after a few tries here I am, perfected that taste..
And believe me, its very simple!! Try out!!



Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cup Basamati or any aromatic rice
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 red chilies
- 3-4 black pepper
- 1 -1/2 tbsp Maharashtrian Goda masala
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup tondali(coccinia or ivy gourd) julienne cut pieces
- 1/2 cup green peas
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 2-3 tbsp Cashew pieces

Preperation:
1. Wash rice well, drain the water and keep it aside for 30 mins
2. Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies, black pepper and fresh coriander together and keep aside
3. In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add the above mix to it, fry for a minute. In parallel, in another vessel keep 2 1/2 cup water for boiling (Adjust as per your rice variety)
4. Add tondali(coccinia or ivy gourd), green peas and cook for yet another 1-2 mins
5. Add goda masala, cashew pieces and soaked rice (You can also fry the cashew pieces before adding)
6. Add salt and mix well. Add the warm water, close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistel
 Serve hot garnished with fresh grated coconut and ghee!!

Comments